Feeling like you’re falling:
- The hypnagogic jerk – when we dream, our body’s are paralyzed. Sometimes, we start dreaming before our body has fully switched ‘off’.
- Acting out falling off a cliff, falling from the sky, or tripping.
- Often happens when we are over-tired, sleep deprived, or stressed.
- The brain enters the sleep cycle more aggressively and quickly than the body.
- Occurs during the first stages of sleep – when the body is entering the deep stages, but there is still enough muscle tone to produce sounds or movements that may accompany dreams
- Dreaming is a way to sort out things before the brain fills them away as memories
- Recurring dreams may happen with unresolved psychological issues the brain is trying to sort out
Exploding head syndrome:
- Waking up having heard a really loud noise, like an explosion, a flash of light, or a sense that their head is exploding
- It’s a type of hypnagogic jerk – you’re heading towards deep sleep but your body hasn’t achieved paralysis yet