- Dream analysis, aka, psychoanalysis
- Dreams contain both manifest (content the dreamer remembers) and latent content (the symbolic meaning embedded in the dream).
- Can be used to address mental health issues
- A newer cognitive behavioral technique (image rehearsal therapy) has been developed to address concerns like posttraumatic stress and chronic nightmares.
- In image rehearsal therapy (IRT), the goal is to rewrite the nightmare’s story, writing it down, and changing the content to something positive, encouraging the individual to mentally rehearse this new dream script for up to 20 minutes a day in order to decrease the frequency and intensity of the nightmare.