Feelings and analysis:
- I found that this embroidery piece took ages to complete. It is made up on french knots which are time consuming to create.
What went well/badly:
- I knew the finished piece would be effective, however I regret spending so much time on such a small development piece.
- I think the idea of the piece has been missed. I wanted to depict a person holding their dreams, considering their dreams and what they mean. I wanted to use the medium of embroidery for experimentation. Yet, I had not considered how long this would take. The piece took a long time to finish to a successful standard, while it fails to communicate my concept successfully.
What I have learned and how it will help me in the future:
- To problem solve, in the future I will be wary of what I spend my time on and whether doing so is worth it. If the piece only needs to be a text piece, extensive amounts of time don’t need to be spent on it.
- From creating this piece, I have learned to not spend so long on development pieces. Development should be quick. In addition to this, they should communicate the concept or idea, which is where this one falls down.
- Moving forward, I now understand the importance of not spending too long on a piece that isn’t successful. Although experimentation is important, it should also be quick and rough.