Feelings and analysis:
- I found Thomas Hetherwick’s Seed Cathedral really inspiring. I appreciate how passionate he was about his subject that he created an instillation of such scale and detail that it is mesmerising.
What went well/badly:
- Research Hetherwick’s work has given me ideas for my own piece. I want to create potentially an instillation that communicates my concept in a similar way – by fully submersing the audience into it. I believe this will be really effective and will translate my ideas successfully.
- Hetherwick has inspired this by presenting a piece that does the same for his concept. In addition to this, I found that I interpreted the cathedral to appear as a kind of room of selection, perhaps where a person could enter and select the dream they want to problem solve some issues they are having.
What I have learned and how it will help me in the future:
- I have learned how successful pieces are when the artist is passionate about the concept. This motivates me to remain passionate about my concept to encourage an innovative final outcome.
- I intend to play around with some of the ideas I have gained from this research and develop instillation ideas that reflect it. I could combine what I have learned from Hetherwick with the inspirations I have taken from Amsterdam and Damien Hirst’s ‘Pharmacy’.