Feelings and analysis:
- Having tried stop motion earlier in FMP, I understand the amount of time and dedication this piece would have taken. This inspires and motivates me to fully submerse and dedicate myself to my own final piece.
What went well/badly:
- Of the two videos, this one by Oren Lavie is my favourite because I think it represents the idea of dreams well.
- I appreciate the way the artist engages the audience with first the music and then the action.
- I think there is and needs to be a definite attention to detail here – particularly with the controlled light appearing on the bed as she is sleeping before dreaming to convey that time is passing – the night is moving on.
- I love how the actress remains in an actual bed, where all the action takes place as this is more realistic in translating the idea of the girl acting out her dream as well as it only occurring in her head – the dream is almost confined in her head, just as she is in the bed during the film.
- I think the film represents the sleeper’s morning or day. To me, it references the common dream people have as they act our their day in their dream and believe the have woken up, but really they haven’t.
What I have learned and how it will help me in the future:
- This video inspires a further exploration of using stop motion to make my final piece. However, I think making something like this is too close to copying the artist’s idea, as well as it being greatly time consuming and difficult to create. I’m not a film maker, so would need additional lessons to gain confidence before making the piece. This is something I will consider.